Wednesday, 8 June 2011

The only thing worse than being caught unawares is being caught unawares by an over confident, precocious, bratty, six year old.  This morning I walked down with the kids to school.  While in the line my sleeve was tugged by aforementioned child.  'Did H say I was coming to your house for tea?'   I looked at H who to his credit looked both mortified and panic stricken.  'When?' said I thinking 'no ruddy way'.  He said, 'You can just go and arrange it with my dad, he's over there', and pointed to some random man I had never seen before. I said 'Oh, this week's no good', thinking he would go away, but no, ten out of ten for perseverance, he said, bold as brass, 'thats okay, this Sunday between twelve and four is good for me'. I told him we had to go to H's grans on Sunday and still the little beggar persisted informing me that he could 'do' Saturday morning. I am ashamed to admit I was relieved when the teacher came and ushered them in the door.

Now, I do not mind having an adult conversation with someone who has actually gone through puberty, but there is something marginally disturbing about a six year old who can negotiate his own social life, especially when mine cannot find his own shoes half the time, let alone anything else......