Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Potted Sports : (Latin: Sporticus Freezicus your Assicus Officus). After L's sports day being cancelled yesterday morning (much to my disappointment,  as I had envisaged an hour in the cafe beforehand, drinking tea and scoffing a bacon roll), I ended up at aqua fit. Came home and started clearing up the Gala carnage. Had lunch and received a text telling me that they were back on - in forty minutes. Fell out the door dragging H's spacesuit, which had been requested as part of a school display, and an umbrella.

Arrived at the field with J to find that all the classes had been split up into teams of assorted children, the sporty ones, the uncoordinated ones, the competitive ones and the ones nobody wants on their teams. It brought back the miserable scenario which seems to plague many a child at school gym times (myself included) when the sadistic sod of a teacher used to let two kids pick the teams. Usually the sporty types were picked first, then their pals and then the dregs (i.e, chubbies and specky unsporty nerdy types). Now before anyone objects, I was one of the specky nerdy ones, so don't get on your sanctimonious high horses. It's a fact of life, one of the ones you only encounter at school.  Anyway, the teams had to make their way round the field to ten different stations doing various 'sporty' activities.  Since when was throwing a giant pencil a sport? By the time I had watched  three tasks I was slowly losing the will to live and was freezing to boot. I started to pray to Him Upstairs for rain. He answered in the form of my next door neighbours appearance. I was delighted to see them, especially as S said he would go and get us a cup of tea. It was so cold I accepted and his wife and I spent the rest of the afternoon chatting about holidays to Florida. So much so I am ashamed to admit I don't know who won yet....

As I am writing this the kids are 'cooking' in the kitchen. For some deranged reason I have allowed them to make strawberry and marshmallow skewers covered in chocolate and sprinkles. Have just spotted H with a face covered in chocolate, licking his fingers (very hygienic).  I don't think Michel Roux has anything to worry about.......