Monday, 27 June 2011

Well I had a lovely night on Wednesday looking after E's wee boys. They went to bed no bother, after doing the usual stringing out the time thing by chatting about anything they could think of and showing me everything from collections of stones to the views from their bedroom windows.  When they had gone to bed I sat down to watch the telly and amused myself by flicking through the channels.. We only have Free view but it would appear Virgin are no better when it comes to choice. The first programme I encountered was 'Body Building Pensioners'. There is something quite disturbing about seeing a wrinkly old face on a pneumatic body. I switched over....to a scary film about a poltergeist. I switched over. Scary films and an overactive imagination are not a good combo. Especially in someone else's house, on your own and of a nervous disposition. The next thing was a documentary on the world ending in 2012. It scared the wits out of me so I switched over again but made mental note to shop at the last minute for Christmas presents just in case......

The dreaded report cards appeared on Friday at lunch time. Still none the wiser about how the kids are actually progressing.  When I was at school there were three boxes for each subject informing your parents if you were above average, average or just plain la la.  At least you knew where you stood with regards to your abilities then. The format has changed and they are now full of useless comments. I am really not interested in the fact that according to his teacher 'H has a good knowledge of road safety. ' Does he?  Not according to my observations. I wouldn't trust him crossing our driveway, let alone the main road. He also has to adopt 'a more mature' attitude to his drama class. He is six. If someone asked me to pretend I was a tree I would ham it up and take the p**s so there's not much hope for a six year old. At least their attitudes and homework were marked excellent so we must be doing something right.   I am at present composing some comments for the return slip. There is a box to give the highlights of your child's year. I wonder if someone running over the desks and the school nearly having to call in the riot squad applies. It shuts in four days so we might as well go out with a bang.......