Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Have not written much this week. Not because it has been quiet - exactly the opposite. It has been manic. As usual the run up to the school summer holidays is relentless and a mish mash of all things crazy. From wrapping presents for our retiring heidy and teachers, to trying to keep the house tidy (impossible) and washing for all I am worth.

S was due back on Friday after being away all week and on Thursday it dawned on me that I had neglected to water the plants (I had left it to L, who likes to do it). It also dawned on me that I had forgotten to do the neighbours plant pots which were probably shrivelled to death.  I raced out of the house and in desperation soaked myself with the garden hose, not just the plants...the rain started twenty minutes later.

School finished on Friday and instead of doing the Kilimanjaro of ironing that is adorning the dining room table,  I beat a retreat to the local 'posh' coffee shop at the end of the village with the girls. It's not often that we all get together and it was a real novelty and an excuse to eye up (and eat ) their cakes...

Perversely the whole weekend has been scorching hot. Him Upstairs certainly has a sense of humour. As usual He is lulling us all into a false sense of security. I love how Scottish folk go a bit do lally when it is sunny. It just takes a mere hint of sun poking through the grey for there to be a flurry of activity.  Within half an hour, shirts are off, flabby folk are burning themselves to crisps in their back gardens while their offspring attempt to drown themselves in six inches of paddling pool water. Shops run out of ice lollies and the reek of barbecues can be detected from a hundred miles. It's all great fun until the midges are biting and everyone is the colour of lobsters. I have never made a habit of sun bathing, I find it really uncomfortable and usually within ten minutes take myself off to the shade. Pale skin and freckles (the traditional Scottish skin colour) is useless in sun unless you have factor 1000 cream. Mind you I have never been able to understand the pastime of baking yourself to a crisp. There's nothing worse than someone who has tanned themselves until they have the complexion of a Cuprinol coloured crocodile handbag.......

Went to Linlithgow for the jousting on Saturday - a fab day out. We explored the palace and watched the  magnificent jousting tournament. Fit men on horses, with big helmets and even bigger lances. Worth my Historic Scotland membership alone. H was unimpressed. All he wanted was an ice cream and to roll down the banking in the park. I manage to silence him with a venison burger the size of a bucket lid, but not for long,  the ice cream quest continued....ten out of ten for perseverance.

Off on holiday on Saturday........