Wednesday, 6 July 2011

What the heck is it about doorstep salesmen? How many ruddy times am I going to have to tell some halfwit that I don't want my roof 'lined' or anything else?  I am the sort of person  who does not buy on the doorstep. If I want something done to my house I will look for a reputable company and contact them. I can never understand folk who will, on the spur of the moment, part with huge amounts of cash to a complete stranger. The reason for my rant is that a few weeks ago the door bell rang. I went to answer and on realising that it was 'Roofline' yet again, I politely said 'No, thank you' and shut the door. Some weeks we can have various roof line companies more than once and it is now getting on my wick. Most people normally just say okay and walk away, not him. I shut the door and he screamed abuse at the closed door for two solid minutes as I simmered inside. Fortunately the kids were at school. S was away overnight and when he returned I told him the story. When I jokingly said I was going to open the door and let him have it with a pail of water he nearly had a fit. On retrospect he was right.  If he was nasty to the closed door, goodness knows what he could have done. I now have a sign on the door saying 'No Salesmen, Canvassers or Cold Callers.' It worked until last night when one called again. Am beginning to think wiring the mains electricity to the metal bell button might be an alternative......obviously that's a joke, it is a criminal offence to fry door to door salesmen even if they grate on your brains.

T - minus 3 days and counting until holiday time and things have been quite civilised. Only two banishings to bedrooms and three shouting matches, I feel quite calm.......