Saturday, 27 August 2011

Smurfs, shops and skulls and crossbones.....

The kids have been nagging to go to the cinema for a couple of weeks and last weekend never worked out so this  morning we trailed off to see 'The Smurfs'. I was dreading it. There are very few kiddie films that don't make me fall asleep so I prepared for a sneaky nap after munching my Ben and Jerry's. I love the ice cream stall at the cinema but I always scoff the stuff before the Pearl and Dean adverts, leaving me to steal popcorn from the kids much to their disgust. I hate to admit it,  but 'The Smurfs' was actually quite good. Much better than 'Alvin and the Chipmunks II' and 'Cats and Dogs'. Two atrocities of films which would have had you reaching for a set of earplugs and a noose to hang yourself. Adults should really get in free or be given free drink to sustain them. Excitement of the day was when the lights suddenly came on and the film stopped half way through, only for security to come in and kick some nutter out who was trying to record the film. He left proclaiming they were 'ar**holes'. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the wee boy with him. Having to endure the humiliation of having an eejit for a father AND missing the end of the film. Some poor kids have got it hard.......

Did some shopping, fleeces for the kids for winter, a bag of marbles for H and then L spotted her absolute favorite thing. Claire's were selling their 'Lucky Bags'. These basically, are made up bags of tat that they can't sell which are then sold off for the princely sum of five pounds. L can't resist them and sadly for me she remembered I was due her a fiver.  I had raided her bank for bus fares a few weeks back. She is like an elephant - she never forgets. Result! She left happy having splashed her ill gotten gains on a bag which contained -2 pairs of ear festering earrings. Six strands of luminous beads. One pair of frilly gloves. 1 purple baker boy style hat. 1 set of hair bands. 1 set of hair clips. 1angel halo head band. 1 tinsel bobble. 1 white belt with skulls and crossbones (very Jack Sparrow). I added up the prices of the various tags which came to £47.50! Anybody who paid that for such a barrow load of guff would be off their head. L on the other hand was beside herself with glee.....

As I write this a marble match is going on on the living room floor. H is cheating with embarrassing ease. I am not sure which is worse, the fact that he is cheating,  or the fact that S is mad because he is losing to a six year old hustler.......