Friday, 2 September 2011

Busting a Gut...

On Tuesday I happened to be ironing and listening to the radio. My ears pricked up. Why? Because believe it or not,  three eight year olds had been charged with vandalising over fifty gravestones in our local cemetery. What is the world coming to?  They have been reported to the childrens' panel. No doubt they will taken for a holiday courtesy of the taxpayer and all sorts of excuses made because they are 'underprivileged' . Personally I would rather see their useless parents digging graves at the cemetery til they drop. That should cover the cost of the damage.

The school fayre chaos has started and although no longer a member of the PSC I am still involved.....(told you so!) I have the great job of allocating volunteers to stalls which is fine -  when you actually have a decent amount of volunteers.  We also have had the go ahead to have home baking. You could have knocked me over with a feather.  As a result I will now have to try and strap on my pinny and make some cakes. Betty Crocker I love you!  L has said she will make truffles and as she is quite good at them, I am going to let her. Left the house this morning for breakfast at 'A's and then took off with her to school,  to assist the P7's in manufacturing badges to sell at the fayre. They had to write funny slogans on coloured paper and then press them with the school badge making machine. Some of the slogans were funny however we binned the one that said 'Hitler was a bad man'........the mind boggles.  We left the school and took off to Batley's to pick up the fayre sweeties with kids in tow. £150 and enough sweets to keep every dentist in the county in business for the next 40 years later,  we arrived back home.  The hard graft starts next week. The school fayre is a real money earner,  but the Saturday night after we are all usually shattered. It honestly feels as if we have lived in the school the whole week.  The irony of it is not lost on us either. The money raised will go to pay for special educational visits for the kids, something we would normally have to pay for. The irony is that most of us who are involved in the fayre can afford to pay for these ourselves. Why we bust a gut so that others will benefit is beyond us all,  given the fact that we get so little help from the pupils parents.  I remember at one school disco walking along the queue of parents and kids waiting to go in. I was asking if anyone was helping,  and if so, could they go to the front of the queue. As I turned to walk back I heard a sneering voice say  'Aye that will be f*****g right! That's the sort of ungrateful eejit that we are exerting ourselves for.  But we still do it.....and in some perverse way the hard work is worth it........