Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Wind, Rain and more Wind....

The tail end of Hurricane Katia finally hit yesterday afternoon. As I write this it is still blowing for all it is worth and another dirty great rain loaded cloud is hovering in a threatening manner on the horizon.

Of course it's never a proper dose of bad weather unless you have a school trip to add into the mix. Yesterday saw us off on a half day tour of our local farm/heritage centre. This involved wandering round with a group of six to eight year olds (H included) with clipboards trying to find the answers to questions on farming. Should have been easy you would think,  however add in the fact that the majority couldn't read words like 'combine harvester' let alone spell them, coupled with many having the attention span of a goldfish and you ended up with complete mayhem. I spent my time shepherding them back and forward shouting out how to spell things while my head whirled  about trying to keep an eye on them. It's really funny watching the class dynamics, the ones who try to answer every question (not necessarily the clever ones) and the ones who really couldn't have given a toss. Further mayhem ensued as there are many fun things in the heritage centre including trampolines, a massive sandpit and other distractions - none of which they were allowed on. It is a form of torture taking kids on an 'educational' visit to somewhere that could potentially be fun.

Highlight of the visit was a cow peeing an ocean on the barn floor and a sheep emptying it's bowels at close quarters much to the kids hilarity.
 
I arrived back glad that I had the good sense to take a dose of paracetamol before I left in the morning. If I hadn't my sore head would have been a million times worse than it already was.....