Tuesday, 29 November 2011

If Carlsberg did Sleepovers......

L was ten on Saturday.  I can't believe it is ten years since she was born. Every day I wake up I am eternally grateful for her presence in my life. Even at her worst she is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and at her best I truly can't believe that I could have produced her.

As a result of her reaching double figures she asked if she could have a sleepover. Oh joy!  Given the fact that she has been at her friends for their birthdays I felt obliged to comply. So the dining room was decorated with a pink, spotted tablecloth, pink and white bunting, matching paper tableware and the table was littered with party poppers.  Entertainment was painting snowmen mugs to be returned to the local pottery for firing the next day, glitter tattoos and bracelet making. How glad am I that I once took Brownies?  Five girls for a one night sleepover should be a doddle, after all I used to do twenty four for a full weekend. That was nothing short of torture. And I was insane enough to do it four times. After the very first night I recall sitting zombiefied at breakfast (we had two wet beds, a vomit splattered sleeping bag and a guider who snored) thinking that I had woken up in hell. So five I thought  would be 'no problemo' - I hoped. I borrowed J's blow up camping beds so they could sleep in the living room.

A good time was had by all with no fights and the girls were kept amused. It's amazing though what you hear when you are listening to kids conversations. L had 'Tangled' to watch for bedtime. Her choice and the girls were keen to watch it too.  I overheard two of them telling L and her pal J (who sat with their eyes goggling) that they had watched 'Paranormal Activity' at someone else's sleepover.  I  simmered inwardly at the irresponsibility of some parents. Fine if you want your kids to watch stuff that is going to scare them s**tless on you go. However if L had come back from somewhere and told me she had watched that,  A. she wouldn't have slept for a week and B. the film wouldn't have been the only scary thing the folks responsible would have witnessed........

After a breakfast of bacon rolls and croissants, and a jewellery making session,  they departed at midday.  I stared at the general detritus.  Party popper streamers clung to the curtains and carpets. The kitchen looked like a bombsite. To make matters worse I knew I was getting H's flu thingy he has had for the past week. I set to work quickly to clear the devastation. That way I knew I could die quietly in the corner later on....

If Carlsberg did sleepovers......