Tuesday, 22 November 2011

To Santa or Not to Santa........

Well it is definitely official. I am a total nutter -or so it would appear. At a school meeting last night and happened to make the mistake of saying that the kids still believe in Santa. Cue guffaws and some one's comment of  'What a crock...'. H stills believes (he is seven),  L,  I doubt does, but pretends to and would never be cruel enough to ruin H's illusions.  A few years back, when L was six, she asked me if  Santa was real ' because ****'s mum told her it was her that bought her presents.' On the spur of the moment I laughed and said 'of course not, but her mum and dad will have to buy her presents if she doesn't believe.' Another parent had 'never done the Santa thing'. When did it become a crime to enjoy a little magic with your kids? I left feeling sad at their attitudes and wondering if I am in the wrong to let the kids enjoy something fun and exciting. Then of course self doubt crept in and I began to wonder about my own abilities as a parent. Is it wrong to tell them something that is a fantasy?  I have come to the conclusion that maybe I am extremely juvenile (probably), but if my only crime is to pretend Santa exists then I am guilty as charged .  Mr 'What a crock' then proceeded to moan about having to trail Disney theme parks for his holidays this year. Poor diddums. And I thought it was only kids who were spoiled brats!  I, on the other hand can't wait.  If I am a Santa and Mickey loving nutter then so be it. Better than being an unenthusiastic, boring old fart incapable of entering into the spirit of things.....

What a cynical world we live in... I'm off to dig out my Mickey ears in preparation for next March........